The Waimakariri Landcare Trust is a farmer-led initiative to support long-term sustainable, agriculture in the Waimakariri District.
The Trust works in partnership with industry and local authorities to address environmental concerns, while communicating directly with farmers to raise awareness of new regulations – ensuring they have support to implement good farm management practices.
The Waimakariri Landcare Trust will support local farmers to:
- Be passionate caretakers of the land,
- Enhance the Waimakariri district in a sustainable manner.
- Ensure our rural community continues to thrive for future generations
- Earn the respect of the Waimakariri and the wider New Zealand communities.
We do this by:
- Developing and showcasing farm practices that are progressive, providing a balance between profitability and environmental responsibility.
- Taking ownership of our obligations and responsibilities as farmers by seeking to better understand our effect on the environment.
- Being inclusive, transparent and collaborative by working alongside industry and community partners.
- Proactively solving problems and investigating solutions both inside and outside the farm gate
- Engaging with the wider community to share our story and what we are striving for.
- Supporting well researched and proven science and feed this into decision making processes, and
- Ensuring monitoring is in place to measure our progress.